Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I have had elevated AST and ALT numbers in my last blood

Customer Question

I have had elevated AST and ALT numbers in my last blood test
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: my AST was 37 and ALT was 75
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am a drinker
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My DR asked me to be re tested in 6 weeks. She mentioned I may have to go for a sonogram or a biopsy of my liver. OR it may be a fatty liver. Based on the test results I gave you, what does it look like? If I slow down on my drinking, which I have done, will I be ok?
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.

ALT and AST—are two of the most useful measures of liver cell injury, although the AST is less liver specific than is ALT level.

There are three stages of liver damage: 1) elevated liver enzymes, 2) alcoholic hepatitis or fatty liver, 3) cirrhosis.

So probably your should undergo a ultrasound examination especially to rule out fatty liver.

In my opinion probably your levels should be normal if you stop alcohol consumption and the changes may be reversible in early stages.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It's request to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
based on the numbers, which is it? Fatty liver? Alcoholic Hepatitis? Or can you not tell by the numbers?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
would an ultrasound show the difference between fatty liver and cirrhosis?
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 7 months ago.

Ultrasound is the modality to diagnose fatty liver.

Yes ultrasound is able to show the difference between a fatty liver and cirrhosis.

But based upon the numbers suggest minimal liver damage and this may be reversible.

Alcoholic fatty liver disease may be reversible with abstinence of alcohol.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
how long do you think this will take to reverse?
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 7 months ago.

Fatty liver disease rarely causes any symptoms, but it's an important warning sign that you're drinking at a harmful level.

Fatty liver disease is reversible. If you stop drinking alcohol for two weeks, your liver should return to normal.