Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
15267045

Maybe you can help me. For the past month my mother has had

Customer Question

hello, maybe you can help me. For the past month my mother has had terrible lower back pain. But it started with a stomach flu type thing, diarrea and vomiting, then that went away and she's had this awful lower back pain. The doctors say maybe it's a pinched nerve. Now the vomitting and diarrea started again. Any idea what it could be? We've been to a GI and PCP and no one has a clue.
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: No recent injuries. When she lays on her side the pain subsides.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: She was diagnosed with osteoporosis, was getting shots but it's been about 3 years since she's done anything else.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 19 days ago.

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.Osteoporosis is a silent disease till it causes hurt/pain,especially lower vertebral fractures/trabecular fractures may lead to vertebral damage and compression fracture leading to severe compression of spinal nerves and thus causing pain.A MRI Scan of the lumbosacral spine will identify the damage caused and the nerve compressed.Checking for renal disease is imperative as that may be the cause of recurrent diaorrhea and vomiting.The first thing to do for pain is rest,give the body time to recover.The next step must be consultation with your PCP/Orthopedic Surgeon,rehabilitation with the help of a trained physiotherapy may help relieve pain.Pain medicine,OTC and prescription drugs will help in relieving the pain,bracers and support may also help.If a fracture is found,its stabilisation may help with the pain,use of hot and cold compresses will help.Alternative medicine such as acupuncture along with life style changes will help further,Medication for osteoporosis is a must and should be taken regularly.Rarely, the medication for osteoporosis may cause such symptoms and this may need to be investigated.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thanks for your advise. The osteo is definitely an option and we'll look into that. Osteoporosis aside, is there something else that would include lower back pain, in the tailbone area and throw up and diarrhea? You say renal disease? Wouldn't that show up in her urine or blood test?
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 18 days ago.

Renal disease affects vitamin D and may be another factor influencing the osteoporosis,but checking out the lumbar spine is really important .The renal disease can show up in her creatinine clearance and other renal function tests.