Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

Dr., How can women live with bone mets? I seem to remember a

Customer Question

Dr. David,How long can women live with bone mets? I seem to remember a doctor telling me there was a pill, and it could even prolong life for 20 years. That sounds too good to be true.What is more normal? Also, what is the quality of life?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 6 months ago.

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

What kind of cancer is involved here?

What is the persons general health condition right now?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
o.k.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
do you know the answer?

Yes. I do.

There is no such pill.

We can hope for such a thing someday in the distant future but, as you correctly surmised, it does not yet exist.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That isn't a complete answer. I think I'll wait for doctor david. But thank you anyway. (I won't rate you).

OK. I'll opt out so Dr. David can help you.

I wish you the very best.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 6 months ago.

This is Dr. David

woman with breast cancer which are ER positive can live for 5-10 years with breast cancer bone mets. some can live longer, some can live shorter than 5 years.

a pill would not prolong life for 20 years.

quality of life is usually very good

why are you worried about bone mets

you don't have bone met.s

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is 5-10 years usual? I am worried because I think my stem cells will make the cancer keep producing after the AI's are stopped.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what is the treatment to make it 5-10 years?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What do you think the chances are that in 8-10 years they will come out with drugs that will increase the survival with both soft and bone mets?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
One more thing: how long is the survival for soft tissue mets?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Finally, are soft tissue mets less likely than bone mets?

5-10 years is possible. treatments with AI therapy and zometa therapy can help extend survival in women with bone mets.

you need to stop worrying about having mets.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what about soft tissue mets--how long do people live with those? Are they less likely to happen than bone mets?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
also, what do you think the chances are than in 8-10 years, there will be better drugs to make the treatment for mets more effective?

soft tissues mets not in organs are not lethal and not dangerous.

yes, in 8-10 years, they most likely will make more effective drugs to fight breast cancer.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How can AI therapy help, if the woman got mets during AI therapy in the first place? What is Faslodex?

faslodex is an injection and is used as second like anti-estrogen therapy when AI therapy doesn't work anymore.

AI therapy can still slow down breast cancer growth if the cancer comes back.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Dr. David, I really wanted to believe that I wouldn't feel 2 cm mets in the peritoneum or in the GI tract. I wanted those extra years of no worries. Are you SURE you would feel mets that are that small?

you don't have to worry about mets.

you don't have to worry.