Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

My daughter has a small blister on her heel that appears and

Customer Question

HI! My daughter has a small blister on her heel that appears and feels infected.. not sure what to do.. It's not really that much to "pop" though, it's a small yellowish blister that is kind of deeper than just surface and it's very red surrounding it, and she says it's very sore/tender to touch It's right at the back of her ankle and she probably got it from wearing a brace too much (she had previously sprained it)
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: About a week, i think it felt better for her this morning when she put a bandaid and neosporin on it
JA: Is there anything else in your medical history you would like the doctor to know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 26 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 26 days ago.

she should see a doctor to get the area examined.

a surgeon can pop the blister and help it drain

she will need the fluid inside cultured to see what infection was growing inside

she most likely will need to go on a course of antibiotics as well to help fight infection

the culture of the fluid can check for infections which sometimes can be resistant to certain antibiotics.

how old is your daughter

is she willing to see a doctor for evaluation and treatment?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
She's 14. Is it possible to have the blister popped by a doctor and NOT take antibiotics? I'm hoping to avoid that route...
Expert:  Dr. David replied 26 days ago.

boy, I would hate for this infection to get worse if she doesn't take antibiotics and it spreads to her bone and heal and then spreads to her blood system.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Um, okay. So the answer is no. ?