Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

MCV WAS 102 AND MCH WAS 33.7. I drink about 18-25 drinks a

Customer Question

MCV WAS 102 AND MCH WAS 33.7. I drink about 18-25 drinks a week and my doctor asked me to stop for 30 days and retake blood test. My B12 is fine. Are my levels really that high? they are only a couple points over the norm.
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: I had my physical and a CBC done
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I'm not anemic and my B12 is fine
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 22 days ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all types of neurological & other medical conditions including the concerns of “CBC report” you have mentioned here and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

Yes, I agree with you, the MCV is only slightly above the upper normal limit. The numbers may vary slightly from lab to lab but most of the labs have MCV number up to 99 femtoliter as normal, so your number of 102 is just above the normal range

The MCH of 33.7 picograms is within normal limits in most of the labs. Like I said above the range may vary from lab to lab due to the technicalities involved with the tests but generally MCH of 33.7 is considered within normal range in most labs

And you have mentioned that you are not anemic so I assume your hemoglogin is within the normal range.

I see your b12 level is fine too, b12 deficiency can cause anemia, especially megaloblastic anemia where the MCV increases. But your b12 level is normal

I see your dr is arranging a repeat cbc after a month of stopping alcohol, if drinks is contributing in anyway then the repeat cbc will most likely clarify on this issue.

And if folic acid blood level has not been checked you may ask your dr to check it because folic acid deficiency too can cause raised mcv

But I agree with you, your MCV number is ***** above the normal range, while this is technically mildly abnormal finding and this may indicate very early stage of anemia too where other cbc parameters are still within normal range, however in the absence of other cbc abnormalities, and b12 level being normal too, so this slight rise in mcv may not be of any significance. We will wait for the repeat cbc, hopefully it will clear all doubts, but chances are high this cbc finding may not be of any significance.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, and please click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Best regards,

Customer/p>

Hi, Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss your health concerns further.

Best regards,

Customer/p>