Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

Options for sclederma in an elderly person who can only eat

Customer Question

options for sclederma in an elderly person who can only eat liquids or sometimes soft foods only? can a medical procedure or medications bring relief or cure?
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: pain meds and other types to combat the disease I'm asking for my wifes mother she (my wife) is not sure what other types of meds she is on at this point my mother in laws esophagus is enflamed and she was spitting blood she is also feeding thru a tube to her stomach
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: she is 70 yrs old and we would like for her to be comfortable
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 27 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Scleroderma affects movements of food pipe (esophagus) called as achalasia. This also causes heartburn and reflux of acid from the stomach. There are two procedures;

1) Done endoscopically; this is almost non invasive: called as pneumatic dilation. A balloon is used to dilate the esophagus.

2) The narrowing of the esophagus is cut through endoscope. This is also minimal invasive.

Both of these can be done in old age.

Medications like Pantaprozole and Metoclopromide may also help.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

You may seek a referral for a gastroenterologist, who may consider following treatment for difficulty in swallowing;

1) Medications; Calcium channel blockers and nitrates; about 20% percent benefit may occur.

2) Endoscopic treatment includes an intrasphincteric injection of botulinum toxin.

3) Pneumatic dilatation.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 25 days ago.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 21 days ago.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/