Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Approximately 4-5 weeks ago, I attempted to pick-up a bag of

Customer Question

Approximately 4-5 weeks ago, I attempted to pick-up a bag of mulch that was too heavy. Shortly afterwards, I had pain on the right side of my neck, making it difficult to turn my head to the right. Today, I can barely walk-- the pain has from me neck to my lower back and now down to my thighs and legs. IT IS PAINFUL TO WALK! Everything, I've read on-line indicates it could be a pinched nerve.
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: My Primary Care Physician is on Holiday in China. I need to go to an emergency room today but this is to ask can a pinched nerve be fixed? What is causing this horrific pain in my legs? I'm afraid! No. I do not have any nausea and there is no blood in my urine.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: For the most part, I am very healthy. I eat healthy and until a month ago, I was walking over a mile a day, 4 days a week. Since the birth of my daughter, 34 years ago, I was told to advise all physicians that I am allergic to codiene.
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 28 days ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love and I will be assisting you today.

I am typing an answer and will post it once it is complete.

The direct answer to your question is that yes, this is likely due to a pinched nerve, although it may not be the primary issue, and a pinched nerve can usually be fixed, but it is really more complex than simple answers.

There are several possible causes of the pain that you describe. Pain that starts after lifting could be related to an injury to the muscles, such as a muscle strain, or to the underlying bony structures that support the muscles. The fact that the pain is radiating to the extremities,including the horrific pain in the legs, suggest that there is a pinched nerve,but does not specify the underlying cause of the pinched nerve. It is possible that there is muscle spasm associated with a muscle strain that is pinching the nerve as it travels through the muscle layer from the spine to the legs. It is also possible that there is some degenerative changes in the spine that is pinching on a nerve, such as a herniated disc.

If the pinched nerve is because of muscle strain and spasm,it will usually be able to be fixed with conservative care, such as medicines and physical therapy. If there is an underlying degenerative changes in the spine, it also may respond to conservative measures, but it also may help to perform injections into the spine, and some people need surgery to relieve the pressure on a pinched nerve.

We usually do not rush to consider more invasive treatments,uncles there is evidence of significant dysfunction of a nerve on neurologic exam. If there is significant nerve dysfunction, then it is more urgent to relieve pressure on the nerve. But in most patients, there is not significant nerve dysfunction, so conservative treatment is usually done first.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.