Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

My wife has Autoimmune hepatitis. Are there any new drugs or

Customer Question

my wife has Autoimmune hepatitis.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Are there any new drugs or liver dyialsis machines that can help her survive.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: MARS, ELAN, SRBAL. We have tried predisone, AZ. She is currently off all Castriods. We are intering a Liver Trans plant Groupa at Intermountain Transplant in Murray Utah. These are all products being developed.
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 27 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Is she admitted in a hospital?

What is her bilirubin level?

The standard therapy for Autoimmune heaptitis has been prednisone administered alone or in combination with azathioprine. There are various alternative agents available in the treatment, including budesonide, cyclosporine, tacrolimus, MMF, the adjunct therapy allopurinol, infliximab, rituximab, and ursodeoxycholic acid.

Liver transplantation is an effective form of therapy for patients in whom medical therapy has failed, or those with decompensated cirrhosis caused by autoimmune hepatitis.

Treatment failure is defined as deterioration in a patient's clinical condition, laboratory tests, or histologic features during therapy.

Please let me know your exact queries.

There is not much new in the treatment of autoimmune hepatitis.

Difficult-to-treat or non-responsive patients of autoimmune hepatitis should be treated with mycophenolate mofetil or, failing that, calcineurin inhibitors. These patients, and those with fulminant liver failure (encephalopathy), will require liver transplantation. Orthotopic liver transplantation should be considered for patients with decompensated cirrhosis due to autoimmune hepatitis or those with severe hepatitis in whom initial therapy is not successful.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 24 days ago.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 20 days ago.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/