Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

After kissing someone 2days ago I feel tingling of my tounge

Customer Question

Hi, after kissing someone 2days ago I feel tingling of my tounge a slight sore throat and possibly an ulcer under my tounge. I am rather paranoid as I don't often kiss new ppl. Should I be worried? How long till symptoms would show for herpes?
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 27 days ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

The average time to development of an ulcer from a new infection of herpes is about 4-5 days, but there is a wide range from 2 days to almost 2 weeks. Since the 2 days is at the lowest range of the spectrum, it is less of a risk, but it is possible.

Can you attach a picture of the ulcer under the tongue?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
No sorry I have tried to get a photo and can't see it myself just feel it. I actually gained the ulcher less than 5hrs after kissing him. The tingle of tounge and throat only happened today.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
My tounge also looks rather white

If you developed symptoms within 5 hours after kissing, it could not be an infection. Even the throat symptoms could not be related to a simple viral infection or a Strep throat and develop symptoms so quickly.

When symptoms develop this quickly after an encounter, it is typically due to a sensitivity or allergy to something to which you came in contact during the encounter. During kissing, this would most likely be an oral hygiene product, but there are many possibilities. It may help to ease symptoms to take an oral antihistamine.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Well his teeth we're not in the best condition so oral hygiene or lack of is likely. Thank you for your help. How long do u think till I can be absolutely sure I have no symptoms?

Even though these symptoms are clearly not from herpes, it is possible that new symptoms can develop, so you cannot be assured that you did not get infected until the full period during which symptoms can occur has passed, so it would take 2 weeks to be absolutely sure that you did not get infected.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thank you omg it's so scary I wish people would be honest about what they have. Thank you too much.

You are very welcome.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Now I have the runs very bad. Which is not common for me. Is there any chance my body may be picking up on all of this early?

If by the runs, you mean diarrhea, that would not be a symptom that would be worrisome for oral herpes.

Of course, stomach viruses also can be transmitted by kissing, although they are far more often transmitted by other casual contact. But even if it was transmitted by the kissing, 2 days would not be early for onset of symptoms for a stomach virus.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Okay thanks.

You are welcome.

Please remember to provide a positive rating.