Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
15267045

I keep getting recurring Charlie horses in both sides of rib

Customer Question

I keep getting recurring Charlie horses in both sides of rib cage area for about 2 weeks now. not sure if related to my cough and chest congestion i,ve had for about a month. I went to the Dr. and they have me antibiotics but no help.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: occasional feverish symptoms. no energy
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: short of breath. no energy. I am pretty healthy. but 40 lbs overweight. no medical history
Category: Medical
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 6 months ago.

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.Muscle spasms will occur if the bouts of cough are severe and persistent,they are commonly caused by muscle fatigue,certain medication,calcium and magnesium deficiency,dehydration and due to a pinched nerve in the area.Regular stretching exercises ,adequate and healthy diet are needed,you also need to discuss this with your PCP/Doctor who can examine you and solve the congestion and cough.Adequate antibiotics,bronchodilators and cough relievers/suppressants may be needed to relax the muscles along the rib cage.The cause of the cough needs to be treated to stop the persistent cramping of the muscles along the rib cage.

Do you need any more information?