Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I'm 33 years old and I'm getting a sharp chest pain

Customer Question

I'm 33 years old and I'm getting a sharp chest pain throughout the day and then eventually have a seizure. Can they be related
JA: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?
Customer: No shortness of breath but seizures have happened more than once but the pain in my chest has increased over time
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I suffer from depression
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 27 days ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all types of neurological & other medical conditions including the concerns of “Chest pain & Seizures” you have mentioned here and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

Yes, chest pain can cause seizures, this is not common, but rarely can occur

A pain is like stress on the body and mind, any stressful situation can trigger seizures, so severe chest pain too can trigger seizures

As pointed above this is not common, but there are cases of severe pain triggering seizures

However you need further neurological evaluation to find out whether there is any other identifiable cause for your seizures. You need a neurological evaluation and examination in the clinic by a neurologist and also certain relevant neurological investigations that may include a brain MRI scan, an EEG (study of the brain waves) etc and this will shed more light in to the nature of these events, and also the cause of these seizures.

I am not sure whether the cause for your chest pain has been already evaluated and investigated by your doctors or not, if not then you need a thorough evaluation and investigations to find out the cause for the chest pain as well.

The treatment for your conditions would include treating the chest pain, treating the cause for the chest pain, and treating the seizures, and also if the brain scan, EEG etc reveal any neurological issues then it also need to be treated accordingly.

Once again to your main question, yes, chest pain and seizures can be related, as pointed above this association is not common, but any severe pain including severe chest pain can trigger seizures and you need further evaluation and investigations as discussed above and you may try to see a neurologist in the clinic in this regard, and once the cause for your symptoms is finalised it will be treated accordingly.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, and please click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Best regards,

Customer/p>

Hi, Please go through the above answer when your time permits and please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. Please do not forget to click a positive rating for my services to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too and I will be very glad to continue helping you as long as you need my services.

Best regards!

Customer/p>