Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Dear Doctor, Dear Doctor, Dear Doctor,about 2 months ago I

Customer Question

Dear Doctor,
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Dear Doctor,
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Dear Doctor,about 2 months ago I had a colonoscopy.They found a 2.5 cm tubular adenoma. This week i had an additional colonoscopy, however they could not find the polyp!? Do you have an explanation?
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 28 days ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Did they do a simple biopsy when the adenoma was first detected? Or did they do a snare biopsy?

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

If they did a simple biopsy, then the primary concern is that the adenoma was missed on the second colonoscopy. The colon has many folds and turns, and the position of the various folds during the second colonoscopy was located in such a way that the doctor could not see the adenoma. It is also possible that the quality of the prep was insufficient to for the doctor to be able to see the entire colon accurately. The doctor would typically be able to comment upon the quality of the prep.

There has been cases of spontaneous regression of polyps, but it would be unusual for a 2.5 cm tubular adenoma to regress in only 2 months.

If they did a snare biopsy, it is possible that they removed a greater amount of the adenoma than they thought. If so, the residual amount may have scarred over to not be apparent or was so small that it could be more easily missed.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.