Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
6740150

It's been almost five months now that I have had a

Customer Question

Hello. It's been almost five months now that I have had a persistent discomfort ( very mild pain at times) that started on my upper left stomach area. At first I thought it may b pancreas but in two detailed ultr sound the pancreas, liver and other vital organs seem fine. I did an X-ray in case I have stones in gall bladder (since the pain at times is on my left side) and that too was normal bs they told me I have a lot of gas.
My doctor thinks it could b my spleen and colon since the discomfort is usually accompanied by gas..the mild pain has progressively spread to my middle back area and recently also at times spasm in my left leg ( but not sure if that's relayed?).
My last blood and urine test came out excellent...they had also checked the tumor marker CEA, CA19-9 and CA 125 and all normal, liver and pancreas normal.
My symptoms aside from the mild pain and ever so often little spasm are a bit of constipation ( I have always had problems w cinstipation)
I might add that three years ago I had a total thyroidectomy due to papillary thyroid cancer...so far so good w the Revisions.
I also know I am going thru menopause and I just turned 50.
I am having a colonoscopy in 10 days as it's recommended post 50 and also to check the colon.
Since I was once diagnosed w cancer, I am just worried that whether this could be a sign of colon cancer? My doctor doesn't seem to think so but wanted to get your feedback as well
Thank you very much
Delara
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 28 days ago.

Myself Dr Josh- and I’m happy to help with your question today.

Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

Have you noticed unexplained weight loss in recent time?

Are you on any medications?

Do you suffer from anxiety or severe stress?

Do you suffer from nausea/ acid reflux disease?

Waiting for your reply…

Thanks

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 28 days ago.

Dear,

Thanks for staying Online. I am posting my answer.

Dear,

Thanks for all these additional details.

I can understand your concern.

Well, first of all I want to clear your mind, that such symptoms are not related with serious issue like colon cancer. You should not get panic.

Some of the common symptoms with colon cancer are-

{C}§ {C}Rectal bleeding

{C}§ {C}Weakness or fatigue

• Unintended weight loss

{C}§ {C}A change in bowel habits, such as diarrhea, constipation, or narrowing of the stool.

Having discomfort/ pain in upper left side of abdomen could be related with-

-Gas or constipation.

-Diverticulitis.

Diverticulitis is the inflammation or infection of the bulging sacs or pouches of the inner lining of the intestine called as diverticulosis.

The exact cause in not known. It is caused by small pieces of stool (feces) that become trapped in these pouches, causing infection or inflammation.

You have take right decision to get colonoscopy done.

You should avoid foods which are causing increase in gas production, You should not eat/drink too fast, chew the food properly, increase water intake, avoid smoking, cut down fat intake, and increase your daily mobility.

You should avoid these foods-

beans, peas, lentils, cabbage, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, bananas, raisins, whole-wheat bread, salads and carbonated drinks.

You can try OTC simethicone to reduce such symptoms. This would be helpful.
Lifestyle habits such as meal timings, regular sleep timings and most importantly regular bowel movements are also important. Some amount of physical activity is essential for the efficient functioning of your digestive system.

Probiotics may also be useful in treating flatulence.
You should get engaged in aerobic exercise and stress-management techniques like deep breathing and yoga.
It is advised that you should eat six small meals a day rather than three large ones. Smaller meals are easier to digest and may produce less gas.
Take Syp. Pepto-Bismol 2tsf thrice a day after meals. Take Zantac 150mg twice a day.

Please don't panic. It is not related with colon cancer.

You can get colonoscopy done and discuss this issue with your doctor.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 26 days ago.

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going.

Do you need further assistance?

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me.I am happy to help you.

If you are done,then please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today we only get after positive feedback.Bonus is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh