Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I'm detoxing from opiates and was prescribed x4 2mg suboxone

Customer Question

Hi, I'm detoxing from opiates and was prescribed x4 2mg suboxone a day 20 tablets to last me till Monday. I'm going thru pretty bad withdrawals and want to take another but if I saw the doc on Thursday does that mean 4 tablets on thurs, 4 Friday and so on?
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: Suboxone, phenobarbital and omeprozole. No
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Chronic back pain
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 21 days ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love and I will be assisting you today.

It would be appropriate to take 4 pills on Thursday if you were seen early in the day. But if you were seen in the late afternoon, that may not be true. Since you were prescribed 20 pills to last until Monday, then you would not have an issue, as this 20 pills would include 4 pills for Monday. However, if you were not going to be seen until Tuesday, then the doctor would expect the 20 pills to last until about the same time on Thursday as when you started the pills. So, if you were seen shortly before the office closed at about 5 PM, you should have enough to last until 5 PM on Tuesday. If you took 4 pills on Thursday, then there would not be sufficient to be taken on Tuesday morning to last until the appointment.

So, if you were seen early int he day, 4 pills on Thursday would be reasonable. If you were seen mid-day, then 3 would be reasonable. If you were seen late in the day, then 2 pills would be reasonable.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.