Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

Recently I had an MRI of my head because I got a migraine

Customer Question

Recently I had an MRI of my head because I got a migraine headache while I had just come down with Bronchitis. The migraine lasted for 48 hours of sever pain all while I was having sever coughing spells from the Bronchitis. I am 63 yrs old now and had not had a migraine since My 30's. I went to my doctor and told him about my migraine and that My older sister had suffered with (and survived) a corotide artery anyorism. He agreed with my concern and scheduled the MRI. Prior to the MRI I was told to fast for 2 hours. Then they told me that since I was over 60 they would automatically check my kidney function to make sure I could dispell the dye or whatever it was they would inject through an IV they began prior to the MRI. When the MRI was complete I was told they couldn't do the dye because my kidney result was 1.4. Now I had on head phones so I couldn't hear them real well. Ion not know how they got the kidney test result because I didn't do a urine test or a blood test prior to the MRI. So my question is what test did they do to get the kidney results and what does 1.4 mean?
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: No, I had not experienced a migraine since my 30's. The migraine has gone away but a constant headache has remained with the pain getting more intense usually in the evenings.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have a normal blood pressure. I do take Vesicare for what my GYNO said is a sensitive bladder. I had a total hysterectomy when I was 37. I take cholesterol medication. I recently had cataract surgery & lens replacement on both my eyes. I also have arthritis in my knees and spine so I take a medication for that. I also have hypothyroidism for which I take medication.
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 27 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

If no blood or urine tests were done; the kidney functions cannot be assessed. A medical imaging like ultrasound or another scan cannot give the functional status of the kidneys. Good kidney function before injecting the dye is needed because; otherwise, it may further damage the kidneys and other organs and dye may take very long time to eliminate from the body.

The other reason of refusal of injecting the dye may have been sensitivity test done by the technician and doctor. If there was even a mild sensitivity and reaction shown (usually this is done by a skin test or intravenous testing); dye is not injected and only plain MRI without contrast is done.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thank you.

You are very welcome.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 23 days ago.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 19 days ago.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/