Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

After day in garden next morning suddenly elbow very sore to

Customer Question

after day in garden next morning suddenly elbow very sore to touch and swollen no bites or skin breakes treatments?
JA: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: general arthritis condition but not acute
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 24 days ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Does this soreness affect the entire elbow? Or is it primarily over the point of the elbow?

What do you chronically take for the arthritis?

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

There are a couple of common possibilities. There certainly can be arthritis that is affecting the elbow. However, another common cause of swelling around the elbow is a bursitis that affects only the point of the elbow. The location of the soreness and swelling would suggest the more likely site of inflammation.

It is worth noting that an infection of a bite or other injury of the skin can also cause soreness and swelling, but it would typically not be present the next morning, as it typically takes at least a couple days for germs to grow to the point that an infection is noticeable.

What can be done for it would depend upon what is being taken for the chronic arthritis. For most people, the usual first step would be a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicine, including either of the over the counter anti-inflammatory medicines. But whether this would be an option for you would depend upon what is currently being taken.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.