Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

What is AST level 46 mean, no this is from my last lab work

Customer Question

what is AST level 46 mean
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? Are you taking any medications the doctor should know about?
Customer: no this is from my last lab work up
JA: Is there anything else in your medical history you would like the doctor to know?
Customer: Cholesterol 202, gloucose 121, HCT 42.9, Lymph #SS 3.0, MCH 34.1, MCV 102.3 and PTL 153
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: good
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 27 days ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.
I understand your concern.

AST is liver enzyme and normal range is 10 to 40 units per liter.

As your AST is 46 so it's very slightly raised and if all other parameters are within normal range then such elevation is of no clinical significance by itself.

Such elevation can be associated with alcohol intake,medication induced.

Your cholesterol level is also slightly high(normal range is up to 200 mg/dl).

Avoid fat rich diet,alcohol and take Omega3 fatty acid,fish oil.

Your MCH and MCV are also slightly high.

MCH and MCV are parts of the complete blood count used along with MCHC to determine types of anemias.

MCH is the mass of hemoglobin per red blood cell and MCV reflects the size of each blood cell. In your case, this may indicate a mild deficiency anemia (iron, B6, or copper). It really has no special meaning in connection with liver enzymes.

There is no particular harm or danger in having a high MCV or MCH if your RBC count and Hemoglobin are within normal range. These calculated values are related to the average size of the red blood cells. They can be influenced by a number of serious medical conditions including B12 and/or folate deficiency and alcohol use.

Assuming that you have had these levels checked, there really is no reason to be alarmed by these values, particularly if this has been a long-term finding and your doctor has not otherwise found some underlying serious medical condition.

So you shouldn't worry seriously.

And see your doctor for a clinical correlation.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It's request to avoid poor/bad rating.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 26 days ago.

It's my privilege to help you if you have any further query regarding your this health issue.
May I help you further?
Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I was told I was pre diabetic and am very concerned about that.Thank you very much.
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 26 days ago.

Thanks for the follow-up.

Your elevated AST is not associated with your pre-diabetic status.

And such slightly elevation doesn't itself manifest serious liver damage.

I really assure you that you shouldn't worry about it.

And eat fat free diet.

Do regular exercises.

And a repeat test should be done after 2-4 weeks

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars and avoid poor/bad rating.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 26 days ago.

I want to add more information about your glucose levels.

Fasting blood sugar level should be within 70-100 mg/dl.

Random blood sugar level should be within 70-150 mg/dl.

If your fasting blood sugar level is 121 so it's high.

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diagnosis/

However you need to undergo HbA1c levels checked to confirm pre-diabetic status.

If it's high then your doctor may advise medication.

Lifestyle and dietary modifications are required in pre-diabetic condition first before considering medications.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetes/in-depth/diabetes-diet/art-20044295

Hope this helps.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 26 days ago.

May I help you further?
Waiting for your response.