Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

How do I know this isn't a scam??? How do I know this isn't

Customer Question

How do I know this isn't a scam???
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: How do I know this isn't a scam??
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: How do I know this isn't a scam?
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
No I haven't seen a Dr
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 28 days ago.

You were first interacting with an automated system to get more information before posting the question to the experts. This is Dr. Love. What question do you have?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I have a very painful rash in the crease between my inner thigh& groin area. It's on both sides and it is EXTREMELY painful. I took some pictures that don't show anything inappropriate if that would be helpful?

Yes, pictures would be helpful if you could attach the pictures.

The most likely problem to cause a painful rash in this crease is a fungal infection, but I can provide better comment with pictures.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
One more thing- If it IS a fungal infection, can you write me a prescription for whatever is needed to resolve this problem??

No, I am unable to provide prescriptions based on an internet assessment. It is a violation of state physic***** *****censure regulations. Through this site, we can only provide information and education, but that includes information regarding over the counter medicines that can treat it.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Okay. I've attached some pictures. Please advise

Thank you for the pictures. One picture was too blurry to be helpful (the second one you posted, but the third one by the label - 3466), but the other two pictures have an appearance of being due to a fungal infection.

Sometimes, a rash can start as a fungal infection and then develop a secondary bacterial infection, but I do not see any areas that look to be secondarily infected. However, if the area that is involved in the blurry picture looks different than the other two pictures, it would be better to take another picture and attach it. If the appearance is the same as the other areas, it is not necessary to do so.

There are a couple of good over the counter medicines to treat skin fungal infection. They used to be only available by prescription, but they were changed to be available over the counter years ago. The two best over the counter medicines are clotrimazole and terbinafine, either of which can be used for this.

Does the area in the second picture (3466) look the same as the other areas?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
it looks the same as the other 2. The other 2 show each crease. What causes this????
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
how can I avoid it in the future??????
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I've attached a picture that lists the ingredients in the medicated wipes I've been using.......do u think those wipes made it worse or helped??
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
R u still there? Do u need more $?????

The fungi that cause common skin infections are relatively ubiquitous, so avoiding them is virtually impossible. There are some host factors that can increase the risk of infection Activities that involve sweating and rubbing of skin increase the risk of infection, which explains some of the lay terms for certain fungal infections, such as jock itch and athlete's foot. We would never recommend that someone avoid exercise to avoid the risk of fungal infections. Certain chronic conditions increase the risk of infection, particularly diabetes. If you have diabetes, it is important to maintain optimal control of the diabetes. On the other hand, regular cleaning of the groin and particularly cleaning after exercise, can help to reduce the risk of infection.

However, even people that do everything correctly can still get such infections.

The primary ingredient in this product, chlorhexidine, is mostly effective against bacteria, but it does have some mild activity against fungi. One of the secondary ingredients, climbazole, has better activity against fungi (it is actually chemically related to the clotrimazole that I noted above), but since they do not list it as an active ingredient or mention the percentage, there may not be enough to make a significant difference. None of the ingredients would make it worse. So, it would be fine to use, but the above products would be better.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Okay thank u SO much!!!!!! I will def give u the best rating possible!!!!

You are most welcome.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.