Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a couple of questions around a possible broken

Customer Question

I have a couple of questions around a possible broken "metacarpal"
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No not yet I just wanted to see how it went for a week, broken maybe a little extreme but the pain has not declined
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: a week off memory, pain is the same. I am currently boxing which makes this a little more shameful lol
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no i have been pretty lucky
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love and I will be assisting you today.

It is not clear what question you are asking about a possible metacarpal fracture.

Could you clarify what information you are seeking?

I asked for clarification of the question and have not heard back.

A metacarpal fracture is common in boxers. In fact, a common lay term for a fracture of a metacarpal is a "Boxer's fracture".

Although it is still unclear what information you are seeking, I wanted to be certain to relay that if you do have a metacarpal fracture, then it would be very harmful for you to continue boxing. It would be better to stop boxing until you seek further evaluation to know whether there is a fracture.

If there is a lesser injury, such as a contusion of the bone, continuing to box will likely make it have more pain, but it will not be as significant a risk of exacerbating the condition as if a fracture is present.