Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
6740150

Is it ok to take valsartan and traimterene/hctz together,

Customer Question

Is it ok to take valsartan and traimterene/hctz together
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes they gave me the triamterene first for new dx of high bp. It remained high so they ordered valsartan over the phone. My appt is in a week and I don't know if I should take them together.
JA: When was last time you had a check up? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?
Customer: Yes my mother. My pressure was 200/100. Now taking bit meds it is 140 /74
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 26 days ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.

Valsartan belongs to a class of drugs called angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs).It is used to treat high blood pressure & heart disease.

Triamterene/hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic (water pill), and is a combination of a potassium-sparing diuretic (triamterene) and a thiazide diuretic (hydrochlorothiazide).

These two drugs cannot be taken together. beacsue Potassium-sparing diuretics ( triamterene)may cause the risk of high blood potassium levels may be increased.

So I advise you to please do not take valsartan and traimterene/hctz together.

Till you get appointment with your doctor,you can take only traimterene/hctz & avoid volsartan for the time being.

Thank you.

Hope this helped.

Is there is anything else that you would like to know? I am happy to address your follow-up questions. And please do not forget to leave positive rating (3 or more star) so I can get credit for helping you today we only get after positive feedback.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 26 days ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for beng online.

Triamterene/hydrochlorothiazide can increase potassium levels in your body.When volsartan is taken along with it,there is risk of further increase in potassium levels which can be dangerous to body.

These two drugs when taken together needs close monitoring by your doctor.

So as of now,you need to avoid taking volsartan & take only traimterene/hctz.

And please do not forget to leave positive rating (3 or more star) so I can get credit for helping you today we only get after positive feedback.

If you still have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

God bless you & take care.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh