Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have experienced male genital thrush, mild form. as a

Customer Question

I have experienced male genital thrush, mild form. as a result of type two diabetes. My pharmacist recommended an anti-fungal cream which hasn't helped much. Any suggestions?
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: Metformin, 500 mg, Diovan 40 mg, Januvia 100 mg, Vitamin D, Lantis Solostar 1o units daily
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love and I will be assisting you today.

Which anti-fungal cream was tried?

How well is your diabetes controlled?

What was your last HgbA1c?

I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back, so I will address what I can.

When someone has persistent thrush or other skin fungal infection, there are several options. It may be an option to try a different over the counter topical antifungal, but that would depend upon what has already been tried, which is why I asked for that information. There are limited options available over the counter, and if you have exhausted the over the counter options, then it would be better to be seen by your doctor, as the usual next step would be to use a stronger prescription topical antifungal or to use an oral antifungal.

I also asked about the control of diabetes because it is frequently difficult to get good control of a fungal infection if the diabetes is not well controlled. Consequently, when there is a persistent fungal infection, one of the issues is an assessment of diabetes control, which is why I asked about the most recent HgbA1c.

If you can provide the information that I requested above, then I can provide further information.