Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

My mom has a very "rash" and I would like to see if u can

Customer Question

Hi. My mom has a very nasty "rash" and I would like to see if u can help out figuring out what it may be
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: She has but non of the medications have worked
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: No medications. And she is not allergic to anything
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of Is there a away for me to upload a picture??
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.
Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

What is the exact location of rash?

Itching,peeling of skin,redness,swelling,pain?

Since how long has she been suffering from?

Is rash spreading?

Please upload the pictures here using the paperclip like icon in your chat box.

Upload the pictures to online photo sharing websites like Photobucket/Mediafire/Flickr/photobox/picasa web albums and paste the link here.

Thanks.

Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She has had it for 6 months. It is spreading. It saturates, clear to yellowish "pus" the area is red, it itches, it becomes blisters. Currently she had it around her neck and chest. She says that when she sweats it becomes more itchy and the clear liquid comes out from the he blisters. Dr's have given her oral medicine and ointments but it makes things worse.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The area seems swollen n red. Bluster and it does peel. On some times of the day it seems like the blisters are drying but with in hours they are back to being swollen n supurating??
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Do you have any pictures of the rash prior to putting on the purplish substance?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, not at this moment. That stuff that she puts will take days to come off.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

Well, it's quite difficult to make out what is going on below the purple dye, but based on your description, I would like you to consider, and discuss with her doctors, the possibility that she might have a condition known as Bullous pemphigoid. This bubbling rash occurs when the immune system attacks a thin layer of tissue below the outer layer of skin, causing bullae (fluid-filled bubbles) to form. The reason for this abnormal immune response is unknown, although it sometimes can be triggered by taking certain medications. Prescription drugs that may cause bullous pemphigoid include penicillin, etanercept (Enbrel), sulfasalazine (Azulfidine) and furosemide (Lasix). Ultraviolet light therapy to treat certain skin conditions may trigger bullous pemphigoid as well, as can radiation therapy to treat cancer. To confirm the diagnosis, a small sample of the affected skin can be biopsied and sent to the lab for evaluation. This would be a good idea to get a definitive diagnosis, so you can get your mom on the right treatment (and feeling better) right away.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't think it is that. Her blisters are not like that big or protruding. It looks more like a diaper rash.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

I see. Well, I wanted to throw that out as it is considered an urgent condition and requires prompt treatment. Otherwise, you would have to consider other bullous or vesicular rashes such as shingles (which typically lasts only a few weeks but can get secondarily infected), Norwegian scabies (crusted scabies), allergic dermatitis with secondary impetigo, etc. These types of rashes require specialized treatmtent. If she hasn't seen a dermatologist recently, this would be a good idea as conventional treatments are not likely to help. If a clear diagnosis is not forthcoming, a biopsy should be done so that it can be looked at under the microscope. You might also consider seeing a rheumatologist, as this could be an autoimmune condition requiring a course of prednisone or other immune-modulatory therapy.