Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

Started today with 2 very dark normal consistency stools.

Customer Question

Started today with 2 very dark normal consistency green stools. now it is a form of green diarrhea
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Have not called a doctor. Just took my vitamins of e and multi v.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: just have a chronic asthma cough
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: over 10 yrs. No. I feel fine and have not coughed much today. could it be food related? Had a brownie and pretzels for breakfast, turkey and ham deli sandwich I made for lunch.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 months ago.

Stool color is generally influenced by what you eat (e.g. green leafyy vegetables or green food coloring can turn stool green), as well as by the amount of bile — a yellow-green fluid produced by the liver that digests fats — in your stool. As bile pigments travel through your gastrointestinal tract, they are chemically altered by enzymes, changing the pigments from green to brown If the bile travels through the GI tract rapidly (e.g due to infection or diarrhea), it can stay greenish in color. If it does not persist for more than a couple days, it was probably something you ingested. If it persists, or you develop other symptoms such as abdominal cramping, you should see your family docotor for a complete evaluation.