Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I provided a semen sample for analysis. I used saliva as

Customer Question

I provided a semen sample for analysis. I used saliva as lubricant. As I'm reading about this online, it appears that saliva is deteriorating to sperm count and motility. Is this true? Do I need to provide another sample?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for this question. Actually what you are reading is true, saliva does effect the sperm motility as well as the count. The reason behind this is that the human saliva contains a large number of enzymes which are designed to help in the breakdown on proteins among other substances. These enzymes have a deleterious effect on the sperm themselves and can destroy major of the sperm. Secondly the human sperm is made to live at a certain pH and teh human saliva is at a pH which again can harm the sperm. So if your saliva got mixed in with the sperm , it will definitely effect the sperm viability and count. However if the saliva did not get mixed in with the sperm then it would not effect the sample. But given that you used saliva as a lubricant that does mean it would be better if you sent in another sample for more accurate results.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your response. I'm getting contradictory information online. If you don't mind, I would like a 2nd opinion from a urologist. Is there anyway you can transfer my question to a urologist here. I'm not able to ask duplicate questions.

Ok let me opt out of the question and you can wait until a urologist comes online. It may take some time.