Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Not sure how general this is: Male 45, low testosterone( my

Customer Question

Not sure how general this is:
Male 45, low testosterone( my body just absorbs the hormone replacement),some muscle atrophy, raynaurd disease, some rheumatoid arthritis, abnormal Igg, vitamin b12 of 1200. Have been to every doctor imaginable and numerous tests and the last doctor seen, oncologist/hematologist, has diagnosed me with hypogammaglobulinemia.
The insurance company will not cover the treatment because I don't have a history of bacterial infections treated with antibiotics. They want me to take the vaccine test to evaluate my immune system.
I've been feeling achy and tired for 5 years and have managed to maintained a normal
life...but am feeling weaker as time passes. Any suggestions
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 month ago.

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

Unfortunately, as inappropriate as it is for the insurance company to "practice medicine", if you want them to pay for your care the easiest thing would be to do as they demand.

The other option is to hire an experienced health care attorney and have her contact the insurance company on your behalf. A letter from your physician stating why a vaccine test is not necessary in your situation would also be helpful.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But where does muscle atrophy, low testosterone, fit into this picture.

To get the answer to that question will require more data and workup.

While your insurance payment issues will still be in the way, in order to get data on how low T and muscle loss fit in you should consider going to a large teaching hospital.

Why a teaching hospital? Because at an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS