Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I have a question regarding my health. So, my symptoms are

Customer Question

Hello. I have a question regarding my health. So, my symptoms are stiff knees, headache in my forehead and temples. Sometimes it goes to the back of my head. A chronic discomfort in my right eye, IBS and gastroparesis (both have been diagnosed but no treatment other than dietary change. I feel congested all the time. I am feel pulsating in my hands and chest, especially when I lay down. I also wake up every 3 hours when sleeping. I am currently on omeprazolr. I had recent blood work that came back normal outside of a high enzyme in my liver, but was told it wasn't a concern. I also had a test for RA which came back higher than normal I believe it was 18 count. Could this be something that can cause all this or is it just stress. I'm not normally stressed, but all these symptoms are messing with me. Any help would be appreciated.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 7 months ago.

Hi Joe. A high RF (rheumatoid factor) is a marker for rheumatoid arthritis, an autoimmune condition that can lead to painful, stiff joints and fatigue, as well as skin, bowel, nerve, lung and heart complications. If your test result was equivocal, it should be followed up with an ESR, CRP (both screening tests for inflammatory conditions in the blood) as well as anti-cyclic citrulinated peptide (anti-CCP) antibodies.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 7 months ago.

This condition, or a related autoimmune condition, can be quite stressful to have as the symptoms are very distressing and the diagnosis is often delayed. This stress can, in turn, make the symptoms worse, particularly if it is interfering with your sleep and throwing off your mental balance.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 7 months ago.

I would suggest that, in addition to the above tests, you ask your doctor for a referral to a rheumatologist. They are the experts at diagnosing and treating autoimmune and autoinflammatory conditions. There are some extremely effective medications available now to get these kinds of symptoms under control.