Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified.
65718478

A lump suddenly appeared today on my lower leg, ankle area.

Customer Question

A lump suddenly appeared today on my lower leg, ankle area. It is located just to the left of mid-leg and just above the ankle area. I've just begun taking hydrochlorothiazide (3rd day) and edema in lower legs has drastically reduced. The lump is squishy when I push on it and is the size of a quarter. Help! I'm a nervous wreck cuz of a lump appearing suddenly!
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 27 days ago.

It likely has to do with resolution of the edema. I would not worry but would give it a few weeks for the edema to resolve entirely. If the lump is still present, then bring it to the attention of your physician.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Can you explain to me how decrease in edema could cause this? Also, I have suffered for years with pitting (3+) edema in ankles and lower legs. All of a sudden the edema notably decreased and then the 3 "water pills" I took this week decreased it even more. This is honestly the first time my ankles and lower legs look normal in a long, long time! Like night and day! But now this worrisome lump. (Does it have a name?)
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 27 days ago.

It is likely not a lump at all but a normal structure made apparent by the edema, soft or fatty tissue.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
One final question. By the end of the day yesterday it no longer protruded! I can still touch the outline of where it was, but it's as if it reabsorbed or something! I now notice faint purple lines in that area. What are your thoughts?
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Note: It's still there after all. :-( Last night it had shrunk, or so I thought, but today it's there again...same size, same spot, possibly protruding a LITTLE BIT less. Thing is, I don't remember ever seeing this when my edema was bad. Like I said, now that my edema has significantly improved to the point of having nearly normal sized ankles is when this lump/cyst appeared.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 26 days ago.

I would wait at least 2 weeks until worrying.