Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I had taken a fall last night and landed on my hand. I have

Customer Question

I had taken a fall last night and landed on my hand. I have iced it. It is still swollen and i am having problems lifting items . What can I do for it and how long will it take to heal
JA: I'm trying to find the right doctor for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know.
Customer: ok
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: My health is good. It's my hand that I fell on. swollen and pain. I have iced it and taken general pain killers. I have lost my strength and have problem holding things.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am on no medication. I am 55 year old white female. I am a smoker and have been for years. No medical problems in history.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 month ago.

You should have it checked to rule out any possible fracture

A fall into outstretched hand by the way IS MOST COMMON SCENARIO OF FRACTURE IN GENERAL ...

Treatment needs to start with proper evaluation of what injuries exist to hand or wrist ...

Icing for 15 minutes intervals several times a day ...

Elevation generally helps reduce inflammation ..

Sprain of wrist / fracture of and bones off hand or wrist / bruising -- soft tissue injury and extent will determine the length of recovery ..

Agree with benefit to anti-inflammatory ( Advil 3 to 4 tabs with food 3 times a day provided no ulcer problems or kidney disease )

( most even fractures heal with about 6 week time frame )

Sort tissue injury only would clear faster

I hope that this is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Dr. Bray