Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Fecal impacted- home remedy? Have not seen my doctor about

Customer Question

Fecal impacted- home remedy?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? Are you taking any medications the doctor should know about?
Customer: Have not seen my doctor about this. Thought I had it clear-up once but that was false. I am an active 86 year old who has had 5 A&P repairs. Nothing works real well in the bowel area ever. Now it is just not working at all.
JA: Is there anything else in your medical history you would like the doctor to know?
Customer: Last A&P made me incontinent. It seems that my bladder and my rectum have become much closer friends than is good for me. I have CLL and my primary does not want me to have any more surgery.
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 27 days ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask are you able to pass gas? Any abdominal pain, distension or vomiting? Any abdominal tenderness?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I can and do pass awful smelling gas. Have distension but no tenderness.

A couple of more questions, what have you tried so far? laxatives? suppositries? enemas?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on.

Fecal impaction usually is a problem which needs to be dealt with at the hospital given the hard nature of the stools. However you can certainly try some methods before going for manual evacuation at the hospital since you dont have absolute constipation or abdominal tenderness at the moment. The best and safest method given your repeated surgeries in the past can be with insertion of glycerine suppositries into the rectum, place three suppositries in the rectum which should lubricate the stools enough to allow them to pass out. This would work if the impaction is lower down in the rectum. At the same time you can use oral laxatives like polyethylene glycol to soften the stools in order to allow them to pass out. but given yur history of incontinence in the past i would recommend using one method at a time. Use the suppositries first, if they dont work then go for the laxatives. If that doesnt work then an enema would be needed to soften the stools and have them pass out.

However in case of severe impactions these would not be very effective and in such a case a manual evacuation would be needed. So if these methods dont work then proceed directly to teh ER where they can manually evacuate the intestine.

This discussion is open and you can ask me any further questions. If you have tried these methods, please let me know so we can come up with other solutions. Do let me know if you need more information. Also if you stop passing gas at any time or if you develop abdominal pain and tenderness at any time, immediately proceed to the ER as that could indicate an obstruction.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/