Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I came down with a sudden case of gout this weekend. What

Customer Question

I came down with a sudden case of gout this weekend. What would be a safe pain medication for me as I have stage 3 kidney function and was told not to take Tylenol , Aleve, ect. Is there something else such as a steroid medication to take away the pain.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I take Valsartan, Furosemide, Ambien, Atenolol and Prilosec. I am allergic to Sulfur and Penicillin.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had a bad case of gout last a year and 6 months ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now since you have chronic renal disease, then the safest option to use for treating acute attack of gout would be colchicine, this is a drug which has been recommended to be used in patients in whom there is moderate to severe kidney dysfunction such as yours. This can be used and you can get a prescription for this drug by simply calling up your doctor and having him call in a prescription to the pharmacy. If for some reason your doctor does want you to use colchicine, then the next best option here is to use steroids to counter the inflammation and the pain. This would be preferred to be used in IV form as they are much more effective in an intravenous form or even when injected directly into the joint. In such a case you should contact the ER and get the steroids. But first call up your doctor and get a prescription for colchicine if possible.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

The contraindications for use of colchicine include,

1) use of colchicine in the last 14 days

2) Hepatic impairment

3) Renal CrCl < 30 ml/min, which essentially means that your kidneys are completely shut down.

4) Drug interactions.

In your case none of these contraindications exist and you can be started on the recommended dose of 1.2 mg immediately followed by another 0.6 mg one hour later which should be enough for the first day.

Do you have any more questions?