Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Im having rash symptoms on my nose that i've never had

Customer Question

Hello, Im having rash symptoms on my nose that i've never had before.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 30 days ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

How long has this been present?

Are you having any associated symptoms, such as itching?

Could you attach a picture of the rash?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Hi, I has pain on one side of my nostril two days ago, and yesterday a big red bump showed up on my left nostril that looked to me like I had a large zit growing so I thought nothing of it. But then I started feeling a little pain yesterday on the right nostril as well. Today I woke up and the swelling and most of the pain had gone away on my left nostril, but a large red bump had appeared on my right. The bump is large, red, hot, and painful to the touch.

From the description, it sounds like an infection, such as of the sweat glands.

Could you attach a picture?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Okay. I'm not sure, I use flonase daily because my eustachian tubes are constantly clogged. I also put tweezers in them a few days ago, so I'm not sure if that could be the cause of the infection. Yes, I will send pictures.
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Here are the pictures.

Thank you for the pictures.

The appearance on the picture does look like it is most likely a bacterial infection. Tweezers could have played a role depending upon how they were used. If you tried to remove nasal hairs, that can irritate the follicles that can result in infection. However, similar skin infections certainly can occur in people that have not used tweezers.

The usual treatment would be oral antibiotics, as that will help with deeper layers of tissue. However, there are no oral antibiotics that are available over the counter. If you are not able to see a doctor in a timely manner, it would be OK to try some over the counter topical antibiotic ointment, such as Neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Okay, that is good to know. Does it look like a type of infection that can only be healed with antibiotics? Or one that could spread to other parts of my face or the brain, like cellulitis?

That is actually a more complicated question than you would think.

The human body can get rid of many infections. Back in history, before antibiotics were invented, people usually did not die from minor skin infections. Certainly, a small percentage of minor infections would get progressively worse and could cause a systemic infection. And at that time in history, infectious diseases were a major cause of death. But for minor skin infections, good cleaning and the body's immune system will be able to handle the majority of infections. The advantage of antibiotics is that it will eliminate even the small percentage that will progress to a more serious infection.

Of course, there are serious infections in which antibiotics should be started quickly, such as pneumonia or kidney infections. But for minor infections, it is not as necessary to start antibiotics quickly. And specifically for minor skin infections, it is also OK to try the less potent over the counter topical antibiotics if the individual cannot readily get to a doctor.

So, when you ask whether it can only be healed by antibiotics, the answer is no, because the body can heal many of these infections. But when you also ask if it could spread, the answer is yes, because a small percentage of untreated minor skin infections can do so.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Okay. I will go to a doctor's office in the morning for antibiotics. Thank you for all your help and advice.

You are most welcome.

If I have answered all your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 29 days ago.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.