Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Question about taking Epsom salts as a laxative. I saw a

Customer Question

Question about taking Epsom salts as a laxative. I saw a doctor on Thursday and he gave me a barium meal but I´ve been unable to defecate since then apart from a very Little. He said my constipation is not due to obstruction and prescribed Agiolax but I haven´t taken it yet and now I feel I need to get my system moving urgently. Can I take Epsom salts?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I´m taking Tamsulosin for my prostate and am due an operation on Tuesday for that hence the urgency to get my digestion moving. I´m also on 1.25g of a beta blocker for arrythmias.
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: Not good. I´ve been sleeping very badly and worrying a lot - I have hernia and cataract ops due too
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I´m 56 a non-smoker and had a colonoscopy in June when I also had digestive problems and was prescribed a course of antibiotics. A polyp was found and removed but otherwise some inflammation in part of the small intestine - hence the antibiotics. I have some prostatitis at the moment but am not yet taking medication as the op is due so soon
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 27 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 27 days ago.

I would use a fleet enema which is a saline laxative.

I would not take epsom salts

you can also use 1/4 or 1/2 bottle of magnesium citrate laxative as well

make sure you drink plenty of water and fluids.

these agents can be purchased at your drug store.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
one main worry is not being able to evacuate the barium meal. Is this a serious problem?
The "block" seems to be in the upper part of the system as I have a few days food etc there
Expert:  Dr. David replied 27 days ago.

I see.

a fleet enema and some laxatives and drinking plenty of fluid will help you move your bowels and get the barium out of your system.

it will come out.