DIEGO BONILLA
DIEGO BONILLA, Doctor
Experience:  Pulmonary/ Critical Care at Boston University
93381398

I have chronic sinus infections. I can taste the infection

Customer Question

I have chronic sinus infections. I can taste the infection and even smell it. I have large gooey balls of green-black mucus come out of my nose/sinus's, and in my mouth and I sometimes choke on them. I feel sick and I always have a horrible head ache. I also have facial pain and my teeth ache. I've been seeing an ENT doctor and he hasn't been able to help me get better. What can I do? What doctor should I see?
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: Continuous
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have had 5 sinus surgeries. I have been on antibiotics often, almost continuously, and now I have a bad reaction to antibiotics that is quite serious and gets worse each time. I used to have to resistant bacterial bugs and they finally went away after I had an IV treatment for a month. I'm now left with what my son thinks (he's a dentist) is a fungal infection.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DIEGO BONILLA replied 1 month ago.

Hello

This is Dr. Bonilla. I understand your concerns.

Chronic sinusitis could be a difficult problem to treat. You can see an allergist or pulmonologist and be tested for other causes of sinusitis including allergies, viral and bacterial. A culture and CT scan of the head may be necessary to determine the cause. A prolong treatment with antibiotics ( 6-8 weeks) may be necessary. Let me know if oyu have any other questions.