Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

You helped me last week with a question about medication

Customer Question

Hi,you helped me last week with a question about medication interactions. I have Lupus and Fibromyalgia and hypothyroidism,my fingernails are not healthy,a lot of them are very loose and not attached to nail bed,I caught one the other day and it ripped down to cuticle,I trimmed down what was still attached and there seems to be a thin layer of nail that was trying to grow beneath it. Today my finger is swollen and very red around nail and really hurts. I've been cleaning it and putting antibiotic ointment on it,I'm going to attach a photo. I'm worried it might be infected.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The latest picture is from today the others yesterday
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for this question and im sorry to hear about your situation. The pictures clearly show that the nail and the surrounding nailbed and the soft tissues of the finger are infected and this means that topical antibiotics may not be enough to solve the problem. From the looks for the finger, you need oral antibiotics to help heal the infection. If you have lupus then it is likely that you are also on steroids for it which would make you more vulnerable to infections. Secondly the fact that you have lupus and hypothyroidism, also explains that your brittle nails. In addition it is possible that you could also have nutritional deficiencies like zinc, vitamin B12 as well as folic acid which has weakened the nails and led to the loss of the nail in the first place. Supplementation would be required in this case and i would suggest that you start using OTC supplements until you get tested for these deficiencies.

But the nail is clearly infected and you do need oral antibiotics, i would suggest that you contact your doctor and get a prescription for antibiotics. in the meantime apply bactriacin topical ointment on the area and cover is lightly with a clean sterile bandage. Change the bandage every day and keep the area dry as well.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional information you require, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!