Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I think my granddaughter might of taken one of my plavix, My

Customer Question

I think my granddaughter might of taken one of my plavix
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: My granddaughter is one year old
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: My granddaughter is one year old. She might of taken a plavix
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all types of neurological & other medical conditions including the concerns of “Accidental ingestion of Plavix by one year old child” you have mentioned here and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see that your 1 year old infant granddaughter might have accidentally ingested one tablet of Plavix

The adult dose is 75 mg

This is certainly high dose for child of 1 year old

Plavix can be used in kids including infants around 1 year but the dose they are supposed to be using is smaller than the adult dose of 75 mg

But the good news is accidental over dosing of Plavix is most often not going to harm kids, but we need to observe carefully for any possible bleeding or any other unusual complications that may develop because of this ingestion. She needs observations for the next several hours, and if any complications are going to develop it will be during these hours and after wards she will be safe

If possible you may take the baby to the nearest ER or Urgent care for observations and there a decision can be taken whether she needs more aggressive treatments to counter the effects of Plavix or special methods to remove any residual Plavix from her gastrointestinal tract etc.

Once again I reassure you if this is just 1 tablet of Plavix then this is most likely not going to be dangerous since this medication is used in infants too for certain medical condition, the dose is the issue but just 1 tablet may not be a major issue, please observe for any bleeding or any other unusual new manifestations like excessive crying or difficulty with breathing etc, then to take her to the ER or Urgent care immediately, or alternatively she may be taken to the ER or Urgent care now itself so that she can be monitored there for next several hours and then discharged once she is fully out of danger, but once again I reassure you just 1 tablet of Plavix is most likely not going to cause any kind of complication even if she is just one year old because this pill is not known to be unduly toxic to kids around her age.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, and please click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Best regards,

Customer/p>

Hi, I hope your granddaughter is doing fine.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this health situation further. And please do not forget to click a positive rating for my services to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too and I will be very glad to continue helping you as long as you need my services.

Best Regards,

Customer/p>