Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

What dies 6mm hypoensity invokving the right hepatic lobe

Customer Question

What dies 6mm hypoensity invokving the right hepatic lobe mean in layman terms
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Whats an appropriate clincal setting?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: 2 past herinas pain in rigbt side groun area wont go away this was the ct findings bout with phemuina in April
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: None
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. My name is***** and i am reviewing your question and will get back to you with a response ASAP!!!

Well a 6 mm hypodensity basically means that there is a small lesion or mass in the right side of the liver. The hypointense signal on a CT means that this is likely to be a solid mass. If the CT was done with contrast then it would have shown whether this mass had any blood supply in it or not. However considering the very small nature of the mass it is likely that it would not have any major blood vessels running through it. But this lesion is likely to be a small nodule/mass which is BENIGN in nature. There are many causes for benign lesions in the liver which can include hemagiomas. Similarly a hypointense signal can also mean that you have a small cyst in the liver which invariably is benign in nature. The cysts can be genetic in origin or due to an infection or due to occlusion in the bile ducts.

In summary, a 6 mm lesion isnt one which i would worry about right now HOWEVER i would like to monitor it for any changes in size in the future. That is why i would advise getting an ultrasound done now as the CT scan was done back in april. The new ultrasound would show whether the mass/cyst has grown in size or not. But i think it is likely to be the same size as it was in april.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

The causes for solid lesions in liver are mostly benign as i said, it can be focal nodular hyperplasia which is a benign condition again. It can be a angiomyolipoma which is again a BENIGN tumor and it can also be lipoma or a hamartoma which are all benign. NONE of these tumors need any actual treatment apart from simple monitoring. This can be done on a 6 monthly basis in the first year to see if they grow in size or not and afterwards can be done on an yearly basis with a simple ultrasound. If it is a cyst, even then an overwhelming majority of cysts need no treatment unless they are infective in nature (hydratid cyst for example), they again only need monitoring.

So simply put in laymans terms, you have a VERY small mass/cyst in the liver which is likely to BENIGN in nature but needs monitoring with an abdominal ultrasound. And i would recommend getting an ultrasound done now as the CT scan was done in april.

Do you have any more questions?

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional information you require, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!