Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
6740150

I have had an abcess around my anus and it busted - but

Customer Question

I have had an abcess around my anus and it busted - but there is a long steak of swolleness around it still. It doesn't hurt anymore but I'm thinking it is a tunnel of more fluid. What kind of doctor should I see?
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: The pain is better and it drained for a couple of days. I've been taking some antibiotics that I had for a tooth abcess leftover as well. It doesn't hurt but still swollen and seems to still be full of fluid.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Not really - I'm 57 years old and never had such a nasty type place! I do bleed some when having bowel movements where I strain but other than that no.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 month ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

For how many days are you taking the antibiotics?

Is there any itching there around the anus?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Been taking clindamycin for about 5 days. Not any itching. Just a swollen area that is about ____ wide and about
_______________ long. that runs along the side of my butt crack/anus. After the initial burst of pus/blood and gook it feels better but there still seems to be a tunnel of fluid still there and it is a little sensitive - but doesn't hurt.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't know if it will clear up on its own or I need to see a doctor. What kind of doctor should I see? I won't see my GP for this one. No way! Just not sure what I should do about it.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 month ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.

You need to see ano-rectal doctor/gastro enterologist regarding this.

The symptoms you have described of having abscess around your anus that busted and now having swelling around anus along with fluid discharge is most likely due to a condition called as anal fistula.It is a small, tunnel like structure (tract) develops between the back passage (anal canal) and the opening to the outer skin surrounding the anus.Its common causes are:Passage of hard stool,constipation,chronic diarrhea,anal abscess,irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).

You need following tests:

-Physical examination,

-Fistulography,

-Anoscopy

Minor surgical procedure may be required to cure this & antibiotics need to be continued/prescribed accordingly.'

So my best advise for you is to please make an appointment with your ano-rectal doctor/gastro enterologist to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Thank you.

Hope this helped.

Is there is anything else that you would like to know? I am happy to address your follow-up questions. And please do not forget to leave positive rating (3 or more star) so I can get credit for helping you today we only get after positive feedback.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 month ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

Most fistulas are treated with a fistulotomy, in which the skin and muscle over the tunnel are cut open, converting it into an open groove. This will allow the fistula tract to heal from the inside out.

Ano-rectal is the best doctor you need to make an appointment with & hence discuss the best treatment accordingly after having Fistulography and Anoscopy.

And please do not forget to leave positive rating (3 or more star) so I can get credit for helping you today we only get after positive feedback.

If you still have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

God bless you & take care.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see how things are going.Have you consulted the ano-rectal doctor?

Do you need further assistance?Is there anything else that you would like to know?

And please do not forget to leave positive rating(3 or more star) so I can get credit for helping you to we only get after positive feedback).

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 month ago.

Dear customer

I have seen that you have not rated my answer so far.Please leave positive rating above the chat box. However if you still have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

Please do not forget to leave positive rating (3 or more stars).

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh