Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have an issue, i feel an itchy on my heart and its like

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: I have an issue , i feel an itchy on my heart and its like needle can i know what is happened to me?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: i just felt it today i had an troube with sleeping, i can assume it as INSOMNIA because i always slept at 3/4 in the morning i've tried to sleep earlier but i didn't feel sleepy
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: i dont have any medical history
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask do you have any sweating, shortness of breath? Is the pain like a stabbing sensation? Is it moving to the left arm or jaw? Does the pain worsen on deep breathing?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on

Well from what you are describing, it sounds like that the pain which you have can be due to a couple of conditions. The first one which i would like to rule out is a heart issue, although given the nature of the pain it is less likely that this due to the heart but even then it should be ruled out with a simple EKG. i think if you develop the other symptoms like sweating and shortness of breath or even raidation of the pain to the arm and jaw, then you should IMMEDIATELY go to the ER and get a EKG done otherwise you can afford to wait until you go in to see your doctor.

Now as to the more likely causes here, the first one is that you could have a condition which is knwon as costochondritis. This is a condition in which the cartilages of the ribs are inflammed which leads to pain which an be needle like and stabbing in nature. It can also worsen on deep breathing or even on coughing. The diagnosis is made clinically and the treatment is with simple OTC anti inflammatory agents like ibuprofen or naproxen.

Another cause for these symptoms can be related to the stomach. Simple acid reflux can sometimes present in this manner and cause a heaviness on the chest or burning sensation in the chest and abdomen, metallic taste in mouth, excessive burping etc. If this is the case then a simple clinical examination would help a lot and if needed an endoscopy can be done later on. But for now OTC prilosec is more than enough to control the symptoms.

Lastly this sort of pain can also be related to simple muscle spasms which can cause a needle like pain etc. This would be corrected with increased intake of water as well as with electrolyte rich fluids. At the same time using OTC painkillers like motrin or aleve would be extremely usefull.

Now i would suggest that if you have sweating, shortness of breath, radiation of the pain to the arm and jaw then you should immediately proceed to the ER to get an EKG done, if not then you can use OTC motrin or aleve alongwith OTC prilosec for now. If the pain worsens at any time then again you should go to the ER. Otherwise you can see your doctor in a day or two for further workup.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.