Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have a friend who has a large, swollen testicle, what

Customer Question

I have a friend who has a large, swollen testicle, what could cause that?
JA: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: He said he has had it a couple years and it never bothered him, until recently, it has started to hurt sometimes depending on the way he sits.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: NO, except he has not been to a doctor for about 9 years.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your friend. From what you are describing it sounds like that he may have developed a hydrocele which is a condition in which there is excessive fluid accumulation inside the testicle. Usually this is a benign condition which can settle on its own within 6 months however at the same time it can persist for years at a time. IF it persists then it will need to be managed with the help of surgery to drain the excess fluid. Usually this can develop in adults due to inflammation of the testicles or even an infection of the testicles. Now the diagnosis is amde with the help of an ultrasound and a clinical examination. Once diagnosed it can be drained with the help of a simple procedure which is done on an outpatient basis, your friend can have this done in the morning and he will be sent home by the afternoon. In the meantime he has to wear scrotal support and keep the testes elevated.

ANother cause of this can be varicocele which is a condition in which there is swollen veins on the testicles. Again this is diagnosed with an ultrasound and a clinical examination. The treatment is again with surgery in most cases.

Since this has been present for 2 years, it is imperative that he get this examined and treated, in some cases this can cause complications which can lead to severe pain. He should visit his doctor ASAP.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/