Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I had a bad cold about 3 months ago and since I have no cold

Customer Question

I had a bad cold about 3 months ago and since I have no cold any more but i have been left with a persistent cough and does not want to go away ,is been some time already and start to be a concern I am 26 years old and do not smoke .my insurance has expired and do not have one currently can you tell me what I may have?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

often times after bad colds, you can have mucus still trapped in your small airways

and this can cause bronchiectasis and cough.

you may need medications like mucinex with plenty of water and also a course of steroids to help decrease inflammation in your small airways to help stop this cough you have after a bad cold.

you have to see a doctor to get a course of steroid therapy like prednisone or methylprednisolone.