Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

Just flown from Glasgow to Queenstown via Dubai & Sydney. My

Customer Question

Just flown from Glasgow to Queenstown via Dubai & Sydney. My husband has swollen feet and bruising around the ankle area. he has a stiffness in his leg. we have been here now 12hours and the selling is subsiding should we be worried?
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: The swelling is going down after all the flights but a bit worried about the stiff leg and the bruising
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: he has a little high blood pressure he is 50 years old around 89 KG
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 6 months ago.

Prolonged dependency of a limb, such as occurs during long flights, can lead to the formation of a deep venous thrombus (blood clot) in the extremity. Signs and symptoms can include:

• Swelling in the affected leg. Rarely, there may be swelling in both legs.
  • Pain in your leg. The pain often starts in your calf and can feel like cramping or a soreness.
  • Palpable cord. The feeling of a rope like structure in the upper part of the calf just below the knee

When present, an examination of the leg by medical professional is recommended, as well as an ultrasound study if warranted by the exam.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 6 months ago.

If you develop signs or symptoms of a pulmonary embolism — a life-threatening complication of deep vein thrombosis — seek medical attention right away. The warning signs of a pulmonary embolism include:

• Unexplained sudden onset of shortness of breath
  • Chest pain or discomfort that worsens when you take a deep breath or when you cough
  • Feeling lightheaded or dizzy, or fainting
  • Rapid pulse
  • Coughing up blood
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 6 months ago.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions about any of this. I would be happy to help you further.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 6 months ago.

Hello. How is your husband's swelling? Let me know if you have any additional questions about this.

If not, please don't forget to provide a positive rating as this is the only way I get credit for taking time out of my day to help you.

Thanks,

Doctor-Bob