Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I am 58 years old (female) and in the last two weeks I have

Customer Question

I am 58 years old (female) and in the last two weeks I have developed horrible joint pain in my knees, hips, lower back, elbows. It is to the point I can hardly get up and down. I also have had some swelling in ankles and knees I take Cymbalta 60mg Lamictal 100 mg and predisone 5mg and Klonopin 1mg 3 times per day. I am wondering what is going on.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 month ago.

Hello !

With the sudden increase in pain over many joints in only 2 week time frame I think that you should follow up with a rheumatologist for follow up evaluation ...

Why do you take prednisone 5mg?

You may have rheumatoid arthritis or a reactive arthritis ...

INFLAMMATORY markers ( C- reactive protein and sed rate ) may help to give a picture of your state of inflammation

Autoimmune diseases may be further evaluated ...

It may be that you might benefit from a period of increased dose of prednisone ...

To see rheumatologist now ASAP is advised however

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Dr. Bray

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have had polymyalgia rheaumatica about 4 years ago and was originally put on a high dose 20 mg I was tapered to 5 mg and have never been able to completely get off the prednisone. I do not recall having swelling with the prior episode. The only way I was diagnosed was I was given 40 mg of prednisone and within 48 hours every pain was almost gone. I was never sure I really had PMR but was told that is one of the best ways to diagnose it. Is that true?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you still there

Hello again,

I was offline for a short while but am back now....

Yes response quickly to prednisone would fit PMR dx

Other rheumatoid conditions may respond as well

Response to low dose >5mg of prednisone is typical for PMR >> yes to that as well ...

Any recent infection? That could lead to more of a reactive arthritic pattern...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not that I know of I only know I am in pain I do not take pain medications. I work at a VA Medical Center and although we cannot receive care here I have been here for 37 years and know many of the doctors. It was recommended to me to go up to 20mg for a few days and see what happens. My rheumatologist is no longer located here and it is a 3 month wait to see another one.

Hello again,

It may not even take that high of dose 15 to 20mg of prednisone I would suspect likley to help >> I agree with that ..

F/U as you can with rheumatologist I would recommend of course..

Let me know if I may be of further help!

Take care !

Dr. Bray