Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I was just checking to see if I should be taking Cortisol

Customer Question

Hi! I was just checking to see if I should be taking Cortisol Manager. I am recovering from my second hip replacement surgery and I am once again having trouble sleeping. The last time this happened, someone at Pharmaca (in Berkeley) suggested I take Cortisol Manager, along with Melatonin, to help me sleep. I've tried other herbal sleep remedies but they wear out after a few weeks use and I wake up after 4 hours.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I am taking Lisinopril and Hydrochlorothiazide for High Blood Pressure, Advair for Asthma and Nasacort for allergies.
JA: When was last time you had a check up? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?
Customer: I had a pre-surgical check-up at the end of July. Yes, there is a history of high blood pressure in my family.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I also use a C-pap Machine for Sleep Apnea.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

One of the key ingredients of Cortisol Manager is Ashwagandha, and it is recommended that Ashwagandha not be taken within two weeks of surgery.However, once you are two weeks past the surgery, thern the concern about this issue has resolved.

It is also possible that the Cortisol manager may lower the blood pressure slightly. Since you are already taking two medicines for high blood pressure, it would be appropriate to monitor blood pressure if you also taje the Cortisol Manager. This issue is not at a level that the Cortisol Mn=anager should be avoided, but it is appropriate to monitor blood pressure to be certain that it does not get too low.

So, once you are two weeks after surgery, it would be OK to take the Cortisol Manager, although it would be appropriate to be monitoring your blood pressure while taking it along with your blood pressure medicines.

If I can provide any additional information or clarification, please let me know. Once done, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.