Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My dad is 79, he had a stroke a month ago and is doing

Customer Question

my dad is 79, he had a stroke a month ago and is doing pretty well. no issue with motor skills, slight speech issue but last night he was shaking a lot and now tonight he is weak and couldnt go up the stairs. my mom doesnt want to call911 but does he need to go to the emergency room or should he have him rest till tomorrow?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: he taking flomax, plavix- blood thinner, levochyroxinxe 0.05mg . his temperature is 100.4
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: takes daily once a day he taking flomax, plavix- blood thinner, levochyroxinxe 0.05mg . his temperature is 100.4
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no just that he had a stroke. he has issues with blood clots
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love and I will be assisting you today.

If he is significantly weaker than usual, then it would be better for him to be seen urgently. If the weakness is localized, he may be having another stroke. If the weakness is generalized, there may be another problem that also may require urgent attention, such as an infection. There are several infections that can occur more often in someone with a recent stroke, such as pneumonia or a urinary tract infection.

A temperature of 100.4 is not bad, but also does not help to differentiate the type of problem. Certainly, infections can raise temperature, but there also is a part of the brain that is involved with temperature regulation, so neurologic diseases can also cause the temperature to increase.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.