drcaplan
drcaplan, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  I have specialized in common problems for men, women, children, and the elderly.
72350808

I an suffering from PSTD and in a constant state of Trauma.

Customer Question

I an suffering from PSTD and in a constant state of Trauma. I have lost 40 pounds of my former 170 plus pounds and have been taking valium at an increasing rate. I began about t year and a half ago taking 15 - 5 mg tablets and have progressed to taking 90 - 10 mg tablets. The valium had become ineffective and I have stopped taking it because it does not aid in weight gain and I do not want to become addicted to a drug that does not provide relief any longer. My question is, am I a candidate for marinol ( I live in Florida - Key West) and if so, where can I find a doctor near by who can prescribe this medication for me?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. For your review, here is my direct link with my current ratings from patients like you: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

I have read your post and observations. I'm so sorry for your experience! Sounds frightening and so horriblle. Would you prefer a summary answer to your question, or would you prefer more back-and-forth, where there will be a series of more questions and more details clarified? There is no difference in charges for your preference.

Either way, I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

If you want, you could go to a website called TreatMD.com There are ways you can find a telemedicine doctor there, who will be able to prescribe for you. The difficulty with the US is that some prescribers are restricted to different locations for their prescriptions. Just so you're informed, very few doctors would prescribe opiates or psychotropic medications like marinol over the internet. If you're looking to see someone in person, I would suggest calling your health insurance company if you have insurance, or searching for local primary care doctors in your area in a general web search.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would prefer your direct answer as I believe I qualify for this medication and it is far more healthy and effective than addictive pharmaceuticals that are addictive and has no tolerance as I was a medical marijuana patient for more than eight years and in all honesty I have used marijuana on and off for more than 30 years ... as needed for my ADHD. If you need more information please be specific with your questions. There is no doubt you are more than qualified to understand my situation and me desire to have this drug prescribed. Thank you and I appreciate your time and efforts in this very pressing request.
Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

Happy to provide direct answers. I understand your predicament. I recommend that all my patients make decisions for themselves, in what they believe is their own best interest. I see my job as providing evidence-based information from the medical field so you can make the most informed decision. As of today, we know that the best treatments for PTSD are centered around a combination of talk therapy and certain prescription medications. This treatment combination has the best long-term data, but is not a 'quick fix' like more potent pharmaceutical options may be. For some patients, they prefer a short-term view, and wish to simply feel better in the short run, and think less of the long-term. This makes sense, from a certain perspective, but if your long-term goal is sustained improvement, we know from thousands upon thousands of patients that talk therapy with prescription medications is the choice method