Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

28 yo male has not felt well for 2-3 weeks, nuasea, sore

Customer Question

28 yo male has not felt well for 2-3 weeks, nuasea, sore throat very tired and spgt(Alt) is 400-500. He has 1 and 1/2 kidneys.
What could it be?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. Perhaps most importantly, I consider myself a patient listener.

I have read your post and observations.

Would you prefer a summary answer to your question, or would you prefer more back-and-forth, where there will be a series of more questions and more details clarified? There is no difference in charges for your preference.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
summary
Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

ok. If you don’t mind waiting a short while, I will post back to you momentarily with your reply.

Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

ok - The fatigue and sore throat are, statistically speaking signs of viral and allergic illnesses. Bacterial infections typically come with fevers in the 101-102 range, chills, sweats, signs that your body is fighting a bacteria, which would have the potential for terrible effects, different from most viruses and allergies. The nausea could be related to the sore throat, but given your ALT elevation, which really relates more to the liver than the kidneys, more information would be required to help identify a specific explanation in your case. Can you provide more information about what you've experienced?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am writng in for my friend, doesn't smoke or drink and is not jaundiced visually. That's all I know. He is an RN
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
could it be mononucleosis?
Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

I see. mononucleosis is quite a common illness, and is high on the list of possibilities. If the fatigue is great enough, if he has lymph nodes that are enlarged, if he has red spots on the roof of his mouth, that would be more likely.