drcaplan
drcaplan, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  I have specialized in common problems for men, women, children, and the elderly.
72350808

I have a lump iny throat that is getting worse. I just had

Customer Question

I have a lump iny throat that is getting worse. I just had an endoscopy and waiting for lab results although the doctor didn't really see anything
JA: How long have you had the lump? Is it hard or soft?
Customer: I've had it for about a month but it is worse. Sometimes it feels soft and other times hard
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I've had sinus problems with drainage but that is better
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com chat dialog.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. Perhaps most importantly, I consider myself a patient listener.

I have read your post and observations. I'm more than happy to summarize my thoughts on this question of lumps, and various treatments, but my goal is really only for your satisfaction. Remember, specific questions are helpful for clear direct answers.

Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

Do you have a specific question I can answer?

Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

To summarize in brief, lumps in the back of throats tend to be related to lymph tissue, a condition called lymphadenopathy.

1. Consider Ibuprofen, Naproxen, or Tylenol for any additional discomfort (dosing below)

2. Your lymph node swelling and tenderness is most likely a healthy, although uncomfortable, reaction to your environment.

3. Call or return to care anytime for questions, changes, or new concerns

Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

Anti-inflammatory Medication Dosing

Max dosing of Naproxen (Aleve) is 500mg twice daily (with food)

OR ibuprofen (Motrin/Advil) 800mg every 8 hours (with food)

OR ibuprofen (Motrin/Advil) 600mg every 6 hours (with food)

AND/OR Tylenol 1000mg every 8 hours for additional relief

For the general public, any of these may be safely taken to help build up anti-inflammatory levels during an illness. Ibuprofen and Naproxen are best taken with food to avoid stomach discomfort. For additional relief, Tylenol may be safely taken at the same time as Naproxen OR Ibuprofen, but Naproxen and Ibuprofen should NOT be mixed. Those who take these medications with consistency over several days, typically feel more relief than when they are taken sporadically.

Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

Reasons to Consider Returning to Care:

1) Worsening illness despite regular use of treatment options as discussed

2) New concerning symptoms or surprising changes

3) Any increasing localized redness (sunburn red), swelling, discharge, or spreading into larger (or different areas), or any difficulty breathing, or chest pains, other new and surprising pains

4) Alarming changes in vomiting or stooling patterns

5) Fevers >100.4 that do not remit with use of anti-inflammatories

6) Refill of medications that were helpful

7) Desire for alternative options to treat your illness

9) Questions about the progression of your illness or treatment