Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I have had problems with bladder infection and bowel

Customer Question

I have had problems with bladder infection and bowel problems I have had a Colonoscopy a few months ago, and ever since I have had fullness, or heaviness in my lower abdominal area. A few nights ago I had horrific pain on my left side of my abdomen and couldn't urinate and started taking Azo tablets for a bladder infection. But it sees it is in both Urinary and Bowel areas. I was told a few years ago that I have Diverticulosis. but it never bothered me.. Do you think that it is now be the problem?
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: Just started using Azo for what I thought was a bladder infection. But, now it seems to be affecting my bowel movements and fullness in my stomach. I have always had stomach problems with stomach aches etc. The bad pain was on Tuesday night but subsided on Wednesday after I added a heating pad to my lower groin. I also had a fever and chills on Monday with a sore throat. That is over now.i
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I just have Psoriasis and that is it. Overall, I am pretty healthy. I just want to know if I should see an gastroncologist...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all types of neurological & other medical/gastrointestinal conditions including the concerns of “Possible bowel disorder” you have mentioned here and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

If you meant a gastro-oncologist (an oncologist with expertise in diagnosing gastrointestinal tumors) to explore the possibilities of a gastrointestinal tumor or cancer in your case – I do not think tumor or cancer is the first thing we should be suspecting in you to explain your symptoms, so seeing a tumor specialist is not immediately needed, rather you may try to follow up with your regular Gastroenterologist, or if you have not already seen a gastroenterologist so far then it is better to see one now

You do have symptoms that appear to be originating from the GI Tract (Gastrointestinal tract)

You have also wondered whether the diverticulosis is causing these new symptoms, the diverticulosis itself is not expected to cause symptoms but when it gets infected or inflamed it is called as Diverticulitis and this can cause the type of symptoms you are having

There could be some other gastrointestinal problems too that cause similar symptoms

One or otherway it appears you may be suffering from some kind of gastrointestinal disease which seems to be causing your symptoms

Since you recently had a colonoscopy this is unlikely due to a tumor or cancer etc but there are other possibilities like diverticulitis or other conditions that can be causing your gastrointestinal symptoms and you may please try to see a gastroenterologist so that you can receive a thorough investigations to find out the precise cause for your symptoms and then treated appropriately.

Once again I reassure you tumor or cancers of the gastrointestinal tract is very less likely the cause for your new symptoms, rather we need to explore other possibilities including Diverticulitis, Colitis, and other GI causes and you may try to see a regular gastrointestinal dr to get this further evaluated & investigated and then treated appropriately depending upon the test results.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, and please click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor

Hi, please take your time and go through the above answer when your time permits. And please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. Best Regards, ***** *****