Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I thought that I had shin splints from a lot of walking I

Customer Question

I thought that I had shin splints from a lot of walking I did last weekend, but today I noticed that my left leg from knee to ankle is warm to touch and hard all the way around just below the calf muscle.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: I always have some swelling, but the area is rock hard unlike my usual edema.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: not really.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. There are a few possibilities here, the first one is that you could have worsening of the pre existing edema because of the walking that you did. If so that is a benign condition and can be corrected by elevating the legs and with the use of compression bandages. Now apart from this the other two possibilities require more investigations. The inctreased temperature and hardness could indicate that you may have developed a blood clot in the veins of the legs. This can present in this manner and also cause tenderness on touching the area. If this is the case then you would need a doppler ultrasound of the leg to be diagnosed and then treated with blood thinners. Another cause of this can be a ruptured bakers cyst which can cause pain, redness, swelling and increased temperature in the leg as well.

Now if the leg is markedly swollen and there is a significant size difference between the two legs, then you should have this evaluated to be on the safe side by visiting your doctor. A doppler ultrasound should be done to rule out the above conditions.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/