Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Several weeks ago while I was wearing a dress pump shoe with

Customer Question

Several weeks ago while I was wearing a dress pump shoe with a 1 1/2" heel I was "tip-toeing" so I would not make any noise as I walked. Next day the back of my knee felt tender as well as down the back of my leg. Swelling occurred and I took Motrin IB for "off and on ". My knee makes a popping sound occasionally. I don't have pain, just a tender feeling. The swelling has not gone away. I usually wear a good walking sneaker. What shall I do about the swelling?
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: What should I do to eliminate the swelling?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No. I am 91 years old and have been in excellent health all my life.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 month ago.

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

There can be many causes for the popping sound and swelling you are experiencing.

One likely issue could be a tear of the cartilage or meniscus. You could also have damaged/torn a major ligament (ACL/MCL etc) in your knee.

Unfortunately, the only way to figure out what is going on is to consult with an orthopedic surgeon and, possibly, have an imaging study (MRI etc) of your knee.

Since this has not resolved on its own in over two weeks I don't believe it is going to :(

Time to get expert help.

Make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

PS: I'm glad to see that a 91 year old lady has such excellent computer skills :)

Have a good weekend.